Contact Information

Please feel free to comment at the end of a blog entry or contact us by e-mail:
elizabethwalker_56@hotmail.com

Monday, December 5, 2011

Oriental, NC

Anchorage in Oriental

Impressive looking new shrimp boat the Lady Deborah
12/4/11

Beautiful morning, not to cold and started out with calm winds.  Motored through the Pungo, Pamlico and Neuse Rivers, we were able to pull out the jib on a few occasions when the wind direction was appropriate, wind speed did come up as the day grew on.  Today was a comedy of errors for Stan, although he probably wouldn't agree with the comedy part.  As curious as it seems, things for us ussually happens in 3's, as we were entering the Oriental Inlet Stan lost track of where he was going and put us aground, not horrible he was able to get us quickly out of it unscathed, supposedly he lost track as we were in deep conversation about where in the harbor we were going to anchor.  Next was a communication error between the captain and 1st mate, (that would be me) our routine for anchoring in daylight is to and use hand signals or a nod, Stan will orient the boat in position and just slowly get the boat moving in reverse as I pay out the anchor chain and rode Stan will put the boat in neutral let the weight of the straighten the chain/rode, once I secure the anchor when I have put out the proper amount of scope he will then put it hard in reverse to set the hook and make sure the boat is holding. It did not go like that today, as Stan (I thought) had maneuvered into place and started to reverse, I started paying out chain/rode at which time I noticed he was really backing up hard and fast right away put I was doing my job assuming (never assume) I had acted correctly even though I never got the hand signal nod thing I usually get. Well it turned out Stan called to (which I did not hear) "do not do anything yet" of course the yelling from stern to bow thing does not work at all, we had gone aground again and Stan was hard into reverse to get off as I was dropping anchor. Anyways lesson learned here, don't assume and always communicate. The 3rd thing: Stan, Whoopi and I headed into shore, there was a consignment shop there are potential great bargains for the boater, Stan is like a kid in a candy shop when we go to these places.  We arrived at the dinghy dock, Stan was locking the dinghy and for some reason he was leaning over the dock, lost his balance and in he went, lesson learned here always carry your camera.  There was only a couple of feet of water at least he did not hurt himself other than his pride again today.  I could not help but laugh and as Stan pointed out my time coming as I am sure it will.  Ok so far we committed 2 cell phones to a wet death and I have lost 2 pair of reading glasses.  Stan went back to the boat changed and was able to get to the consignment store where several important purchases were made for the boat.  It seemed like a very long day today, to much drama.  We know we are getting closer to warmer temps as the mosquito's showed up this evening.  I cooked up a spagetti sauce with lots of veggies and sausage.

12/5/11
Cloudy day and some rain and occasional sun, when the sun was out it was hot enough for shorts.  We had much to catch up on so we stayed at anchor today.  Stan dealt with some engine issues and other boat projects, I did laundry, shopping and other chores.  The marine store had loaner bikes so I biked down the road to get the groceries. No drama today, yea!! Marinating a small boneless lamb to roast in a garlic mustard sauce and will likely cook up a rice/veggie dish. Tomorrow we will head for Beaufort, NC hook up with Doug, return his wifi antennae which we will miss dearly, we were going to buy his but this product is back ordered for 2 weeks and he is headed across the Atlantic to St. John, about a 20 day trip.  We may go outside our selves but it would only be 1 1/2 day jumps when the weather allows us.

Till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment